“I never saw him that he did not meet me with a smile.” 1881 Jan 27 Obituary Chagrin Falls Exponent https://morelandhillshs.files.wordpress.com/2022/11/1881-01-27-elestus-arnold-obit-the-chagrin-falls-exponent.-chagrin-falls-ohio-1881-01-27.jpg
Arnold, Ethan. An Arnold family record, 323 years in America : a record of some of the descendants of William Arnold and his son, Governor Benedict Arnold of Rhode Island, and his grandson, Benedict Arnold, Junior: 1635-1958. Published Elkhart, Indiana 1958.
Bell, Edward F.
Lead Ohio Bell and Civic Groups 2012 Sep 21 News Obituary written by Grant Segall for the Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Boyer, Allen M. (1891-1948)
Our second Mayor was born in Warrensville and came to Orange Township shortly after his marriage to Clara M. (Callie) Mapes. Allen & Callie had two sons, (Charles & Allen Jr.) and lived on SOM Center Road. Cleveland Necrology File.
Became a resident in Orange Twp. in 1829 locating at the northwest corner of S.O.M. and Jackson Roads. Amos was a trustee of Orange Twp. in 1832, 1833, and 1835 and 1853. Amos Boynton was the half brother of Abram Garfield and Uncle of President James A. Garfield. Boynton Family history shared by Ken Blum
Burgess, Joseph M. Pioneer
- Find A Grave includes census records for Joesph and family.
- Biography for Joseph M. Burgess can be found on page 304 in the Memorial Record of the County of Cuyahoga and City of Cleveland, The Lewis Publishing Company 1894.
- Burgess Grove
Our first settler arriving in Orange Township 1815. His home was located at the intersection of Chagrin River Road and South Woodland. The house was purchased in 1942 by the Cleveland Metro Parks and later renovated by the Chagrin Valley Trails and Riding Club in 1956.
2016 Dec 26 article by Kenneth Mays, Columnist for the Deseret News entitled: “Picturing history: Serenus Burnett home, Orange, Ohio History”
Croutcher, Alvin T.
Mayor (1980-1987) and (1996-1999). Was instrumental in the President James A. Garfield replica cabin and Birthsite Park.
DeGross, Charles M.
Mayor of Moreland Hills (2000-2007)
DePetro, Diana (Munz)
Olympic medal winning Swimmer. Profile by Debbie Hanson; “If a child wants to be “just like her” when they grow up, a parent can sit back and relax. Their child has chosen a role model worthy of the title.” Photo courtesy of Diana DePetro 2020.
Dodson, Jr. Osborn C.
Doerr, Mark & Carrie
Moreland Hills residents Mark & Carrie Doerr have been living in the village for 12 years. Having moved here from Newbury. Mark said they were pleasantly surprised to find out their neighborhood in Moreland Hills is actually much quieter than their seven acres “in the country.”
Mayor of Moreland Hills (2020- )
Garfield/Ballou Family Tree
Eliza Ballou Garfield from James A. Garfield National Historic Site
A New Hampshire Mother of a President from New Hampshire’s History Blog
One of the first families of Orange Township arriving in 1816.
Goldfarb, Dr. James
Leading infertility specialist, who grew up in South Euclid, inducted into Brush High School Alumni Association Wall of Achievement.
“Although many of us dream of a career path that allows us to do the kind of work we love while at the same time making a positive impact on people’s lives, most of us fall short on both. Moreland Hills resident Karen Hess, however, has found the perfect fusion of profession and purpose.”
Hubbell, Jedidiah (1813-1877)
The Carpenter who helped build Eliza Garfield’s Orange Twp. home as well as Congregational Church in Chagrin Falls.
Jedidiah Hubbell helped Thomas Garfield and President James A. Garfield build their mother’s frame house in 1845 to replace the temporary cabin built by their father Abram Garfield in 1829. Jedidiah Hubbell was born 1813 in Newburgh Hts to Jedidiah & Hanna (Turner) Hubbell. He married Sarah Parshall in 1834 in Pontiac Michigan and they had seven children all born in Chagrin Falls between 1836 and 1859. The 1850 census indicates that Jedidiah is a Carpenter and Joiner. According to Hayden’s Early History of the Disciples, in 1845 Jedidiah Hubbell was an “overseer” of the Chagrin Falls church. President James A. Garfield is said to have helped build the Congregational Church on Walnut Street in Chagrin Falls.
Keetler, George L.
7th Mayor of the Village of Moreland Hills (1976-1979)
One of our first families arriving in Orange Township 1817.
Leisenheimer, Herman A. (1894-1956)
Village Mayor (1936-1947). Herman A. Leisenheimer married Mildred Yelinick in 1915 and in 1930 lived on Giles Road. Cleveland Necrology Files.
Llewellyn, Samuel D. (1905-1972)
Fifth Mayor of the Village (1954-1971). Cleveland Necrology Files.
Lynch, Frank J. (1897-1962)
First Mayor of Moreland Hills 1929-1931. In 1929 the Village of Moreland Hills was incorporated, and the first meeting was held at the home of Frank & Mary M. Lynch on River Road. The estate of Frank J. Lynch, in consideration of $6,000.00, deeded the property to the Cleveland Metro Parks 23 June 1943.
“The Mapes Brothers are among the honorable and respected, founding families of Orange.” Read more on page 856 History of Cuyahoga County, Ohio…:With Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers.
“In 1792, Seth Mapes, Rufus’ father “moved west” from Orange, New York and he surveyed much of the land in the Western Reserve. He claimed his property on SOM Center Rd. between Jackson and Miles, now known as Moreland Hills. It is believed he moved back to NY and returned to this area in 1820. This became the new “Mapes Homestead.” Seth Mapes was one of the first settlers in Orange Township, which now consists of the modern communities of Moreland Hills, Orange, Pepper Pike, Hunting Valley, Woodmere, and part of Chagrin Falls.” Read more from Highland Hts. Archive Center ..
1879 History of Cuyahoga County, Ohio…: With Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers, D.W. Ensign, Cleveland (Ohio)
1932 August 29 John P. Mapes Obituary
1985 August 6 – Edwin Mapes Obituary published by Cleveland Plain Dealer
Councilwoman who resigned April 26, 1977.
Mellen, Charles S
Councilman Village of Moreland Hills for 21 years from June 8, 1977 – August 1998.
1998 May 14 – “Mellen worthy of Tribute” written by Councilman Jon Salerno Carrol, published Chagrin Valley Times.
Finalist in National All American Miss Pageant.
Mayor of Moreland Hills (2008-2019). Prior to being elected as mayor in 2007, she served on Village Council for six years, including three years as Council President. She worked on all six Council Committees but concentrated her time and attention on the Finance Committee. While on Council she also took a leadership role in initiating the Village Green Space Program and was instrumental in acquiring the land for the Village Park and Nature Preserve, Forest Ridge.
Mayor Renda’s Bio by Mayor’s Office Village of Moreland Hills, Ohio
2019 May 9 – Mayor Renda To Retire after 12 Years in Office by Julie Hullett, Chagrin Valley Times
2015 April 14 – Moreland Hills Mayor Susan Renda to seek third term by Brenda Cain, cleveland.com
2015 March 18 – Moreland Hills Mayor Susan Renda said residents opposed merger: What Mayors Make
“An extraordinary sense of civic duty, dedication to public service and love for the law lead Moreland Hills resident, Michelle Paris, to seek election as Judge at the Bedford Municipal Court.”
Renowned AP Staff Photographer has always called Moreland Hills “Home”. Resident Amy Sancetta won the Pulitzer Prize in feature photography in 1992 and was named the Associated Press top sports photographer worldwide in 1993.
Scientist, Author, Historian, “Connie Sancetta has only lived in Moreland Hills for the last decade, but her family has roots in the Cleveland area dating back more than 100 years when her grandparents moved here from Sicily.”
Schach, Harvey E. (1901-1981)
Mayor of Moreland Hills (1972-1975). Spouse Dorothy?
Swartwout, Denton K. (-1965
Mayor of Moreland Hills (1948-1953). Cleveland Necrology Files.
“Meet Kristine Tesar, aka “Queen Evergreen” – Wife, Mother, Singer, Actress, Comedian, Artist.”
Truax, Bill and Sue
“Though heading for warmer weather, Bill and Sue Truax will always call Moreland Hills “home.”
Wood, Rev. Lester L.
During his ministry since 1936 at First Church of Painesville, Rev. Mr. Wood has added 360 members. In 1937 he led the Congregational churches of the state in number of new members received. Part of Rev. Mr. Wood’s task at Trinity Church will be to increase the membership and to complete the building of the church, of which only the religious education unit is finished. For seven and a half years Rev. Mr. Wood served Chagrin Falls Congregational Church, now federated with the Disciples of Christ. In 1926 he acquired the property where the James Garfield cabin once stood and provided the invocation for the 1931 100th birthday anniversary dedication of the JAG Birthsite Memorial.
“Moreland Hills resident Bill Wortzman has lived in the Village for about 17 years, four and a half of which he served as a Councilman.”